While our phones certainly have no problems doubling up as an alarm clock, there are most certainly ways of making them look more elegant and bring a bit more functionality to them. This has resulted in the NOOKone by Rob Bye, an alarm clock dock designed for the iPhone in mind. According to Bye’s website, he revealed that some of the problems that iPhone docks and alarm clock docks face is the single orientation which is usually in portrait. He also revealed that using a phone while docked is hard and is sometimes counterintuitive since it displays the time on both the phone and the dock itself.
As you can see in his rendering above, the NOOKone will allow for the iPhone to orientate either in portrait or landscape mode and will feature a single display of the time which will be through a simplified alarm clock app. It will feature a volume knob and will be able to charge your phone at the same time, and thanks to the way its been designed, the hole in the middle can be used to hold the dock while using your phone. It’s a sleek and minimalist design that we can appreciate but unfortunately it’s a concept at the moment. It has been suggested that he post it on Kickstarter to start sourcing for funding, but what do you guys think? Would the NOOKone alarm clock dock be of interest to you?
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2014-04-14: In-House iPhone Baseband Chip Development 'Herculean' Task [Analyst]