Back in July it was reported that Acer had plans to only release Windows Phone 8 handsets in 2013. However according to the folks at Digitimes, Acer’s president Jim Wong told them that they will only be releasing one Windows Phone 8 device in 2013, and 5 Android devices as well. Now as far as the mobile industry is concerned, Acer has been known for their computers and tablets like the Iconia series for example, and not so much their mobile phones. While they have released several in the past, it’s safe to say that they were far from memorable.
According to the report from Digitimes, Acer has plans for high-end devices which will feature Qualcomm’s dual-core CPUs, although come 2013 we have to wonder if dual-core could still be considered “high-end” especially in a market where quad-core smartphones are becoming more commonplace. In any case we’re not sure if Acer’s upcoming smartphones will be able to compete against some of the bigger players in the smartphone market such as Samsung or HTC, but it will be interesting to see what they will be able to offer.
- 2014-04-10 Acer Veriton Z2660G AIO Desktop Computer Unveiled
- 2014-04-09 PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-30 Acer Sends Out Invites For 29th April Event
- 2014-03-27 Acer Iconia One 7 Primed For A Release
- 2014-03-12 Acer Still Undecided On Windows Phone, Thinks It Needs More Marketing
- 2012-07-19 Acer to only release Windows Phone 8 devices next year
- 2012-04-16 Acer W11 QWERTY Windows Phone 8 handset rumored for a Fall release