Today, the long rumored LG Optimus G was officially presented at a press conference in Korea which we attended. With this flagship 4G LTE smartphone and its powerful hardware, LG is also pushing what they call a “unique user experience” with a number of interesting user interface custom features.
The most impressive addition to the software is the QSlide Function, a feature that allows to display two application screens simultaneously, thus enabling multitasking. For example, users can search the web or send messages while watching a video. To date, the only mobile devices featuring this type of split-screen capability are the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I cannot wait to test QSlide in a real-world situation.+
Other custom software features include Live Zooming, for zooming up to 5X in a video while it is being streamed, Dual Screen Dual Play for mirroring the smartphone and the TV with different content, QuickMemo, for writing or drawing a note with the finger directly on a captured screen and sharing it as an URL or attachment, ApplicationLink for launching preset applications when the alarm is turned off and Icon Personalizer for customizing app icons.
On the hardware side, the spec sheet is impressive, and we could not expect any less from a flagship product. The LG Optimus G is powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor clocked at 1.5 Ghz with 2GB DDR RAM and we can expect excellent performances especially for 3D gaming (we played with the Snapdragon S4 Pro SDK recently). Entertainment should be a delight on this device, thanks to its 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPSPlus display (1280 x 768 pixels- 320 ppi) that feature a 15:9 ratio.
We know that 4G is a challenge for battery life and the 2100mAh capacity of the LG Optimus G is fairly standard for high end smartphones. LG claims that it has improved the battery technology with a longer life of 800 cycles which is a “significant improvement over existing mobile phone batteries”, according to the company. In theory this should prolong the total lifespan of the battery. It’s typically hard to put this to the test because but it’s true that any rechaegeable battery eventually dies completely and needs to be replaced. Typically most people do “OK” during the normal lifetime of their smartphone.
LG pushed the envelope on the camera side by building a 13 MP rear camera and a few software additions such as Time Catch Shot for choosing the best photo among various shots taken *before* pressing on the shutter, Cheese Shutter for triggering the shutter by saying cheese, LG, kimchi or smile, Smart Shutter detects device vibrations or the motion of the subject and adjust the shutter speed accordingly, Low Light Shot Noise Reduction for better performance in low light conditions.
The LG Optimus G will be available in Korea starting next week and in key global markets in October.
- SoC (System on a Chip): 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor Quad-Core
- 4G LTE (will vary depending on country/carrier)
- RAM: 2GB DDR
- Operating System: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Network: 2G / 3G / LTE
- Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPSPlus (1280 x 768 pixels) / 15:9 ratio / 320 ppi
- Storage: 32GB
- Camera: 13.0MP or 8.0MP (probably for the US version) rear / 1.3MP front
- Battery: 2,100mAh (570Wh/L) / Talk time: 15 hours / Standby: 335 hours
- Size: 131.9 x 68.9 x 8.45mm
- Weight: 145g
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, USB2.0 HS, A-GPS, MHL and DLNA, NFC
Next Story: Kindle Fire HD Unboxing (7-inch)
- 2014-04-23 LG Optimus L90 & L70 Launches On T-Mobile And MetroPCS
- 2014-04-22 LG G3 Screenshots Hint At New UI, 'Concierge Service'
- 2014-04-22 Possible LG G3 Software Features Revealed [Rumor]
- 2014-04-21 LG G Watch To Arrive In A Shade Of Gold
- 2014-04-21 LG G3 Mini Seemingly Confirmed In User Agent Profile
- 2013-12-13 LG Optimus G Android 4.4 KitKat Begins Rolling Out For Some Users [Update]
- 2013-10-02 LG Optimus G To Get Android 4.4 KitKat Update In October, According To LG France
- 2013-06-21 LG Holding Press Event On August 7; Next-Gen Optimus G Incoming?
- 2013-04-03 AT&T LG Optimus G Receives Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update
- 2013-03-07 Sprint LG Optimus G Receives Jelly Bean Update