The folks over at MyNokiaBlog received this particular tip in their inbox, depicting a prototype of yore that hailed all the way from 2009, where it was powered by MeeGo-Harmattan, otherwise known as Maemo6. This particular prototype does bring back memories of the Nokia N8 styling, but assuming it is a blast from the past (3 years thereabouts to be exact), you could say that the Nokia N8’s form factor was inspired by this RM-581 Columbus prototype instead!
The RM-581 Columbus’ branding points towards the device’s leaning towards the landscape orientation, complete with the N-Series branding, making some even wonder whether this was originally supposed to be the N8 before the model that arrived at the market. Under the camera lens, it mentions “AF 12MP” which should more or less be the same camera module as found in the Nokia N8. You can check out additional photos of the leaked Nokia RM-581 Columbus prototype photos in the gallery right after the jump.
There is also the possibility of an integrated kickstand that does seem to blend in rather well with the smartphone, don’t you think so? The front facing camera sensor does seem to be rather large in size, though. Word on the street has it that this prototype was given the boot because Harmattan was not finished yet.
Next Story: Parrot AR.Drone controlled using brain waves
- 2014-04-16: Early Nokia Prototype Tablet From 2001 Gets Pictured
- 2014-04-16: Nokia Lumia 1020 Used To Document Underwater Diving Mission
- 2014-04-16: Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM Increases Your Versatility
- 2014-04-14: Upcoming Nokia Device Codenames Leaked
- 2014-04-13: Nokia Monarch Could Be T-Mobile's Lumia 635
- 2011-12-14: Nokia 803 outed in user manual?
- 2011-11-21: Nokia Lumia 601 leaked, is it for real?
- 2011-11-21: Nokia Drive XAP leaked for unlocked non-Nokia devices
- 2011-10-24: Nokia 800 camera EXIF data outed on Flickr
- 2011-09-06: Mysterious Nokia handset spotted, possible successor to the N8?