After becoming the top OEM in the U.S., after selling three million Galaxy Note 2s in a month, and after selling more than 30 million Galaxy S3s worldwide in five months, Samsung is at the top of the food chain. But the winning streak doesn’t stop there. According to market research and consulting firm Strategy Analytics, Samsung’s Galaxy S3 has overtook Apple’s equally hot-selling iPhone 4S to become the world’s best-selling smartphone for the third quarter of this year.
The firm notes that this is the first time for Samsung to achieve such feat and that its large touchscreen, extensive distribution, and generous operator subsidies have propelled the device to make it to the top. The data from Strategy Analytics reveals that the sales of the Galaxy S3 in Q2 were nothing but short compared to the iPhone 4S. But when Q3 came, the tables began to turn in favor of Samsung. But now that the iPhone 5 is out, we’re wondering if Samsung will still manage to keep the spot.
Strategy Analytics Executive Director, Neil Mawston, thinks that the position as the world’s best-selling smartphone model is likely to be short-lived. “The Apple iPhone 5 has gotten off to a solid start already with an estimated 6.0 million units shipped globally during Q3 2012. We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung’s Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world’s most popular smartphone model,” he adds.
- 2014-04-18: Samsung And Swiss Federal Railways Work Out An Agreement
- 2014-04-18: Samsung’s Milk Music To Cost $4 Monthly For Ad-Free Experience
- 2014-04-17: Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-13: Android 4.4 For Galaxy S3 And Galaxy Note 2 Still On The Cards
- 2012-09-04: Samsung Galaxy S3 Becomes The Top-Selling Smartphone In U.S.
- 2012-08-13: iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S3 displays pitted against each other in "drag race scratch test"
- 2012-06-04: Samsung Galaxy S3 drop test vs iPhone 4S