[CES 2013] Garmin has just unveiled their K2 platform that is touted to be the next-generation automotive infotainment solution – at least, from Garmin. Now this is a name that has been out of the spotlight for a long time, so it is nice to see them make a splash at this year’s CES.
Getting inspiration from Garmin’s avionics and marine technology, K2 will transform your vehicle’s dashboard into a digital cockpit that offers drivers a safe and intuitive method of remaining connected all the time, in addition to being able to access all the functions required while one is on the road. The system is said to intelligently merge digital displays, voice control, infrared buttons and smartphone integration so that drivers can access a wide array of services, ranging from navigation to vehicle diagnostics, office features, communications, music and radio to real-time information from the Web.The Garmin K2 will boast of a 10-inch glove-friendly multi-touch screen that will be located right smack at the center of the dash, where it is accompanied by a digital and reconfigurable 12-inch instrument panel that is located behind the steering wheel. Other than the standard issue gauges, the instrument panel will also provide the driver notifications and snapshots of information, including navigation, communications, audio and vehicle information. This lets you get a handle of what’s on board without peeling your eyes off from the road, which could be fatal. You can even ask the Garmin K2 to read an incoming text message or email, now how about that?
Powered by the Jacinto 5-Eco processor and the OMAP 5 platform from Texas Instruments that carries a dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 foundation and multiple accelerators for high-performance, multimedia-rich infotainment features, this setup works great in situations where vehicle manufacturers can integrate infotainment options for backseat passengers.
- 2014-02-24 Garmin Xperia Edition App's SmartWatch 2 Extension Brings Navigation To Your Wrist
- 2014-02-20 Garmin Reportedly Set To Launch Navigation App For Sony SmartWatch 2
- 2014-01-06 Garmin First nüvi With Wireless Backup Camera
- 2014-01-06 Garmin Launches Dash Cam 10 And 20 With Automatic Incident Detection
- 2014-01-06 Garmin Announces Vívofit, A Stylish And Lightweight Fitness Band
- 2013-01-07 Garmin Oregon shoots photographs and keeps you on the path
- 2013-01-07 Garmin 2013 Nuvi Range Announced
- 2013-01-07 Garmin Edge 810/510 Caters To Cyclists