The road to a stable iOS release is never a quick one as Apple released iOS 6.1 beta 5 just late last week, and has uncharacteristically released iOS 6.1 without a seeding a GM version to developers. Either way, iOS 6.1 is here and offers a number of note-worthy improvements over iOS 6.
One of the most notable improvements is 4G LTE support for more carriers, 36 additional iPhone and 23 iPad carriers to be exact, along with a feature that allows users purchase movie tickets from Fandango after they find showtimes through Siri. iTunes Match subscribers will also be able to download individual songs from iCloud, which was removed in previous iOS releases.
Other minor changes to round out today’s release include a new boarding pass behavior within Apple’s Passbook, tweaks to Safari, back-end changes to Apple’s mapping software and tweaks to music playback controls from the lock screen. iOS 6.1 also makes a new button available to reset its Advertising identifier.
iOS 6.1 weighs in at 107MB, which isn’t as heavy an update as we’ve seen in the past, but it’ll certainly keep your iOS device busy for at least 5-10 minutes, depending on what kind of Internet connection you have when downloading today’s update.
Next Story: PayPal Outage Cause For Concern
- 2014-04-24 iPod Ad Impressions Are Actually Higher Than BlackBerry And Windows Phone Devices
- 2014-04-24 Windows Phone Overtakes BlackBerry In The US [Report]
- 2014-04-22 iTunes App Store Now Labels Apps With In-App Purchases
- 2014-04-22 Jailbroken iOS Devices Vulnerable To Apple ID And Password Stealing Malware
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2013-06-17 XCOM: Enemy Unknown Releasing On iOS June 20
- 2013-05-24 iOS 7 Redesign May Feature Flat 'Black and White' Design
- 2013-05-24 Verizon Cloud Offers 500MB Of Free Storage To iOS, Some Android Devices
- 2013-05-17 Temple Run Franchise Surpasses 300M Downloads; Temple Run 2 Update Incoming
- 2013-03-19 iOS 6.1.3 Released To Fix Passcode Security Vulnerability