It looks like the proud owners of Ouya, the extremely successful Kickstarter-funded gaming console, will be able to browse the web through Mozilla’s Firefox browser. According to a certain Ed Krassenstein who happens to be an adminisrator at OUYAForum, an unofficial forum for Ouya users, he was able to confirm with a Mozilla developer that Firefox is being tested on the Ouya gaming console. Krassenstein went further and posted an image of the browser running on the console.
Krassenstein says that the image came from Mozilla developer Chris Lord who also tweeted about it earlier today. While this is interesting especially for Firefox lovers, Lord noted that it is “kind unusable at the moment.” Explaining the challenges of pushing Firefox on Ouya, Lord told Krassenstein that a lot of work has to be done in order for it to be usable. “Part of this work will be making sure that WebGL and Canvas support performs well on the device, and making sure that the relevant APIs (such as Gamepad API) are also supported,” Lord added.
- 2014-04-10 Firefox OS 2.0 Begins To Take Shape
- 2014-03-19 Former Firefox Developer Explains Mozilla's Decision To Drop Its Modern UI Project
- 2014-03-19 Firefox Powers Better In-Browser Games At GDC14
- 2014-03-14 Mozilla Kills "Firefox For Metro" Project Citing Low Adoption
- 2014-03-12 Unreal Engine 4 Runs On Firefox
- 2014-02-11 Firefox Has New Tab Page Ads For Sale