Rumors of a cheaper iPhone have been circulating for what seems like forever, both for and against such a device. There hasn’t been much news regarding the cheaper iPhone until today when an analyst jumped on the budget-iPhone train.
Topeka Capital analyst Brian White published a report earlier today where he highlights portions of his research that claims Apple is indeed planning to make a budget iPhone available in 2013 to attract China and other emerging markets who wouldn’t be able to afford a full-fledged iPhone experience.
According to White, the budget iPhone could be released as soon as June 2013 and could be called “iPhone mini” or “iPhone Air,” although those names are complete speculation. The budget iPhone is also expected to cost $250 – $350 unsubsidized. That price range could suggest rumors of the budget iPhone featuring a plastic body especially when you also consider Apple’s latest acquisition of a plastics tooling engineer.
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2014-04-14: In-House iPhone Baseband Chip Development 'Herculean' Task [Analyst]