The amount of high-quality games launching on the Nintendo 3DS this year has made us believe it will be the console to beat this year with games like Mario & Luigi Dream Team, a new Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, a new Yoshi’s Island and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. That’s why we’re not surprised to hear Nintendo of America president Reggie FIls-Aime has been praising the system in a recent interview with GamesIndustry.biz.
During his interview, Fils-Aime said game sales on the Nintendo 3DS have “surpass[ed] 20 million units” since its launch in 2011. He also pointed out 11 percent of all 3DS software sales have been digital sales. “So far in 2013 — through April 15 — 3DS game sales are up 55 percent versus last year, counting both physical and digital,” Fils-Aime said in the interview.
On the other side of the spectrum, Fils-Aime did comment on the Wii U, saying, “What I would say about Wii U — and what Mr. [Nintendo President Satoru] Iwata has said — is that the pace of launches has been slower than we hoped. But as we prepare for E3, the pace of launches for Wii U is going to dramatically increase.” “Slower than we hoped” is a bit of an understatement as the Wii U continues to struggle with only 55,000 units to be sold in March, according to an analyst.
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-09: Nintendo Confirms New Mario Game In The Works
- 2014-04-08: Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Pegged For Summer, Wii U Version For Winter
- 2014-04-06: Super Press Start Shows Off All SNES Start Screens
- 2013-11-14: Watch All 30 Minutes Of The Latest Nintendo Direct Right Here
- 2013-09-26: Toon Link Added To Super Smash Bros. Wii U, 3DS Roster
- 2013-09-16: Nintendo 'Very Aware' Of Feedback Regarding Wii U, 3DS Unified Accounts
- 2013-07-18: Nintendo Showcasing Wii U, 3DS Games At San Diego Comic-Con
- 2013-04-25: Nintendo Won't Hold An E3 2013 Press Conference To Focus On Smaller, Direct Events