Nintendo may have announced its launch lineup of the Wii U’s Virtual Console, (http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/wii-u-virtual-console-launch-lineup-revealed/) but on the other side of the spectrum, they also announced how their console has been selling, and as you could expect, it isn’t good news.
Nintendo announced its quarterly sales for the Wii U reached only 390,000 units since December, well after its holiday boost. In total, the Wii U has sold a total of 3.45 million units. As a result, Nintendo’s profits during the last fiscal year was half of what the company had expected. During the same time frame, the Wii was able to achieve 4 million units sold, although at the same time, the Wii was discounted, which probably made it a better choice for budget-minded gamers.
Nintendo isn’t taking this news sitting down as the company has promised to concentrate on proactively releasing key Nintendo titles from the second half of 2013 into 2014 to help the Wii U regain its momentum. In terms of first-party games, Nintendo is expected to release an HD remake of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, a new 3D Mario game and a new Super Smash Bros. in the near future. Whether or not these titles will be released during the timeframe Nintendo wants to boost the Wii U’s momentum is yet to be seen, but we’re sure there are many NIntendo fans who are waiting for these games to be released before they even begin to consider to purchase the Wii U.
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-09: Nintendo Confirms New Mario Game In The Works
- 2014-04-08: Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Pegged For Summer, Wii U Version For Winter
- 2013-09-19: 'Wii Sports Club' Brings Classic Wii Sports Games To The Wii U
- 2013-07-18: Nintendo Showcasing Wii U, 3DS Games At San Diego Comic-Con
- 2013-05-07: Nintendo Details 'Wii U Software Showcase' For E3 2013
- 2013-04-25: Nintendo Wii U Miiverse Now Accessible On PC, Smartphones
- 2013-04-25: Nintendo Won't Hold An E3 2013 Press Conference To Focus On Smaller, Direct Events