Tumblr, originally founded in 2007, has really cemented its place online over the past couple of years. Back in December last year Tumblr became one of the top search terms on Google surpassing the keyword “blog,” which has always been one of the highest ranking terms on this search engine. Earlier this year it announced some pretty amazing numbers, the service now hosts over 100 million blogs and more than 44.6 billion posts. It has rapidly grown, considering that back in April 2012 it only had 50 million blogs.
Today Tumblr announced that it is adding advertisements to its mobile apps. Their first sponsored post in Tumblr Radar appeared almost an year ago. Tumblr’s fashion, entertainment and brand partners have created some amazing blogs. Now the service will bring over these posts to their mobile apps, after being “constantly amazed” by how well their partners’ creations fit in their dashboards. The execution of these ads is very simple and doesn’t affect user experience in any substantial way. Every now and then the ads will show up in a user’s mobile dashboard as he or she scrolls through it.
- 2014-03-24 Tumblr Adds Two Factor Authentication
- 2014-01-22 Facebook Ads Being Tested In Third-Party Apps
- 2014-01-14 Tumblr Now Lets Users Mention And Link To Other Users In Posts
- 2013-11-21 Tumblr For iOS Gets An All New Design
- 2013-07-16 Google Ads Blocked On Sites With Pirated Content
- 2013-06-19 Facebook Video Ads Delayed Until Fall 2013 [Report]
- 2013-05-29 Companies Pull Ad Campaigns From Facebook
- 2013-01-02 Tumblr Is One Of Top Search Terms On Google