HTC and Beats have had a pretty long relationship together, with Beats earphones being bundled together with some HTC devices, and their software preinstalled in HTC phones to provide a better audio experience. However it seems that the relationship could soon be coming to an end, which we’re guessing could partly be due to HTC’s financial troubles, and the fact that Beats and HP have been enjoying a similar collaboration as well.
According to a report by The Wall Street Journal, they are claiming that Beats is looking to buy back HTC’s share in their company. The report states, “The moves come as the founders of Beats Electronics LLC—music mogul Jimmy Iovine and American hip-hop producer and artist Andre Young, better known as Dr. Dre—are broadening the company’s business from headphones to include speakers, audio systems in cars and consumer electronics and a soon-to-be-launched online streaming music service.”
If anything you might recall back in 2012 that the HTC and Beats brand could be parting ways, and while this was a rumor that was denied by HTC back then, assuming this report is true, it looks like things are coming round full circle! Until then do take it with a grain of salt.
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Sense 6 Gets Ported Onto Nexus 5
- 2014-04-14: Sense 6.0 Arriving On HTC One By End Of May
- 2014-04-08: HTC One Review (M8)
- 2014-04-08: HTC M8 Ace Leaked
- 2013-09-27: HTC Sells Remaining 25 Percent Stake In Beats For $265 Million
- 2012-08-29: Beats to build own smartphone, targets iTunes with home-grown app and has a TV in the pipeline?
- 2012-08-22: HTC denies bailing out on Beats Audio integration
- 2012-08-22: Rumor: HTC could bid adieu to Beats integration
- 2012-07-22: Beats purchases part of HTC's stake