Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer had made a number of bold decisions ever since she took over as leader of the company, decisions such as the $1.1 billion acquisition of Tumblr and several other multi-million dollar acquisitions. The company also has a new logo now and has refreshed the look and feel of many of its services. Under Mayer, Yahoo continues to push into the media landscape and the company has now signed someone to become the face of that push. Mayer announced through a blog post that Yahoo has signed Katie Couric as its “global anchor,” and that she will start early next year.
Katie Couric is a well known media personality, already having worked at ABC News, NBC and CBS. While she will cover “the world’s most interesting stories and newsmakers” as Yahoo’s global anchor, she will also continue her daily talk show on ABC called “Katie.” Though there have been rumors that perhaps ABC won’t renew the show for a third season. Mayer’s blog post doesn’t detail exactly what else Couric will be tasked with at Yahoo, but she’ll most likely be on the front page, as the CEO says Couric is going to be “the face of Yahoo News.” Couric joins other media personalities Yahoo has already picked up, personalities like David Pogue, Megan Liberman and Matt Bai. Mayer says that the company is investing in bringing its users “the absolute best content and video experiences available,” and that Yahoo is just getting started.
- 2014-04-16: Yahoo Wants To Become iOS' Default Search
- 2014-04-15: Yahoo And Vevo Partner Up For Original Music Programming
- 2014-04-07: Yahoo Planning To Acquire High-End Original Programming [Report]
- 2014-04-02: Yahoo Works On Encrypting Their Services
- 2014-04-01: Yahoo's Charge Against YouTube May Be Fuelled By $300 Million Acquisition
- 2014-01-29: Yahoo 4Q Earnings Fail To Impress Wall Street
- 2013-12-15: Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Apologizes For Mail Outage
- 2013-11-18: Yahoo To Encrypt All Data Flowing Between Its Data Centers By Q1, 2014