Those who have been using Android for a while are probably aware of Team Cyanogen, or Cyanogen Inc. as they are known these days. They have been responsible for one of the more popular custom Android ROMs which more or less provides users with a near-stock Android experience and does away with the fancy UIs that usually come preinstalled on OEM devices. Well it seems that the journey of Cyanogen Inc. has only begun as they have managed to attract a second round of funding which saw them raise $22 million, a great deal more than their first round which net them $7 million.
This new round of funding is expected to be put towards expanding into China where they plan to open an office for around 50 employees. The company is also hoping to maintain its brand and to bring it into the mainstream which they are hoping to see happen in the near year or two. Over the past couple of months, we have seen Cyanogen Inc. start to evolve from merely offering custom ROMs. They have partnered up with Oppo for the Oppo N1 which is the first handset to officially come with CyanogenMod preinstalled. They have also attempted to release a CyanogenMod installer which has since been pulled from Google Play, and if the rumors are to be believed, they could be teaming up with a mysterious hardware partner to create a smartphone of their own.
Either for fans of the ROM and team, the future is definitely looking pretty bright and it will be interesting to see where all of this will take them.
- 2014-04-18: Chuwi Cloned Lenovo’s Android-Powered Yoga Tablets
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Madison For Android Declares War On In-App Advertisements
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-01-07: Cyanogen Finds A New Hardware Partner In OnePlus
- 2013-11-18: Oppo's VP Resigns, Plans To Create The "Perfect" Android Smartphone With CyanogenMod