[CES 2014] Pebble is mostly known as one of the top Kickstarter campaigns that raised over $10.2 million from over 68,000 backers in 37 days back in April 2012. According to the company, over 300,000 Pebble Smart Watches have been shipped to date.A year after shipping its first Smartwatch model, Pebble is announcing its second hardware, the Pebble Steel.During our meeting, CEO Eric Migicovsky was very excited to show me the new elegant and smaller chassis made of forged and CNC machined stainless steel.
Featuring a similar black and white e-paper display, 5 to 7 days battery life and waterproof body, the new premium Pebble Steel comes in two flavors: Brushed Stainless and Black Matte. Both models come with two bands, a matching metal one and a black leather strap. The Black Matte version features a ultra durable coating which is very resistant to scratches, it is made using a Physical Vapor Deposition process.
Pebble Steel is available today for pre-orders exclusively from getpebble.com for $249 US and it will start shipping on January28th. The Pebble official app store will launch around that time, see how it will look in the smartphones below.
The Pebble OS 2.0 will ship with Pebble Steel and it will be available as a software update for the current Pebble owners. The new OS will get several updates including a notifications submenu and faster scrolling for the watchfaces, more information about the OS new features will be disclosed later this month.
A number of partners have been working on the development of new applications for the Pebble, including Yelp, Foursquare, ESPN, Pandora, ESPN, GoPro and iControl. Check out the video demo to see how some of them work on the Pebble Steel or flick through the photo gallery.
Next Story: Huawei Ascend Mate2 4G Launched At CES 2014
- 2014-04-13: Insurance Companies Could Subsidize iWatch, According To Analyst
- 2014-04-09: iFixit: Samsung Gear 2 Battery Easily Replaced
- 2014-04-09: iWatch Circuit Board Samples Reportedly Being Sent To Apple [Rumor]
- 2014-04-08: LG G Watch Pegged For July Release, Priced At £180
- 2014-04-08: Apple iWatch Rumored For Q3 2014 Launch
- 2014-04-03: Pebble 2.1.1 Update Unbricks The Smartwatch
- 2014-04-01: Pebble 2.1 Update Reportedly Causing Some Watches To Brick
- 2014-01-09: Archos' Smartwatch To Be Sold For $50
- 2014-01-08: Basis Carbon Steel Edition with Advanced Sleep Analysis – hands-on video
- 2014-01-02: Pebble To Announce Something Special For CES 2014