After being rumored, spotted on Sony’s website, and making its way past the FCC, the Sony Xperia Z Ultra WiFi-only version has been officially announced for Japan. As it stands it appears that the device is only available for Japan at the moment and will be priced at around $495 and will be released on the 24th of January. However availability of the device for other regions has yet to be announced, although given that devices that are usually Japan-exclusives typically remain that way for the foreseeable future, but we suppose you could always get one imported if that’s a device you truly wouldn’t mind getting your hands on.
So for those wondering what sort of hardware the device packs, well it’s essentially the same product as its cellular counterpart. This means that customers can look forward to a WiFi-only device that packs a 6.44” Full HD display, a 2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with 2GB of RAM, 32GB of onboard storage, and an 8MP rear-facing camera. The Xperia Z Ultra truly blurs the line between a smartphone and a tablet. At 6.44” it is understandably a bit unwieldy for those with smaller hands, and a little too big for those who would rather have a more discreet looking smartphone.
However at 6.44”, it also makes for a great tablet. It’s a little more than half an inch smaller than tablets like the Google Nexus 7, but that also means that it is extremely portable, so for those who wouldn’t mind a slightly smaller tablet, we guess the WiFi-only Xperia Z Ultra is the gadget for you.
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-03-09: Android 4.4 KitKat Rolling Out To Xperia Z Ultra Owners
- 2014-01-30: Sony Xperia Z1 And Xperia Z Ultra Gets Software Update
- 2014-01-20: WiFi-only Xperia Z Ultra Seemingly Confirmed On Sony's Website
- 2014-01-10: WiFi-only Sony Xperia Z Ultra Could Be In The Works
- 2013-12-31: Sony Launches New Xperia Z Ultra Case For Its 'Lens Style' Cameras