We already knew that app downloads were a big thing, but did you ever stop and think how big a deal it could be? According to research, at the rate that app downloads are going, the App Store might overtake the iTunes Store sometime in March, since the App Store is slated to hit the 10 billion mark in just 31 months, less than half the 67 months it took the iTunes store to hit 10 billion songs. It was noted that Apple is already recording a rate of 30 million app downloads per day and is seeing that rate increase.
One interesting side effect that many folks might not notice is that the iOS apps are also helping Apple maintain its clients since it could be costly to repurchase many apps on another platform such as Android or Windows Phone 7. In fact, the more apps you purchase on iOS, the more likely you’ll stick to it, since you have more money pumped into it.
Next Story: HP hints that webOS-powered netbook on the way?
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Yahoo Wants To Become iOS' Default Search
- 2014-04-16: Apple's App Store Revenue In China Grew By 70%
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Apple's iOS, OS X, And "Key Web-Based Services" Not Affected By Heartbleed Flaw
- 2013-01-17: Temple Run 2 Dashes To The Top Of App Store
- 2011-04-04: Cablevision Optimum iPad app launched
- 2011-03-18: Google TV remote released (iOS)
- 2011-02-17: View iOS app info from Twitter itself
- 2011-01-20: iDOS returns to the App Store