Microsoft is no stranger to lawsuits and now a class action lawsuit has been filed against the company in Italy by a group claiming that it’s too difficult to procure a refund for the copies of Windows that come bundled in new PCs. It was pointed out that Microsoft’s End User License Agreement (EULA) mentions that once users begin to use the computer, they’re no longer able to return the software for a refund. The main issue is that consumers who purchase computers with OEM copies of Windows installed have more difficulties in getting a refund than folks who purchase a retail copy if the operating system. It was noted that users who purchase and install the operating system but don’t agree to the EULA are entitled to return it to the place where they bought it, though resellers and system builders aren’t the easiest folks to get refunds from.
In order to sort this out, the class action suit seeks to nullify the section of the EULA that requires users to go to OEMs instead of Microsoft for refunds. A Microsoft representative has commented that users are free to purchase PCs with a non-Microsoft operating system or without any operating system at all, but having Windows preinstalled “provides the best user experience”. The representative did reiterate that any returns or refunds would still need to be handled through the OEM and not Microsoft itself.
Next Story: Apple patents motion-sensitive keyboard
- 2014-04-16: Bing.com Gets Personalized Cards
- 2014-04-16: Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2014-04-16: Microsoft Discounting Windows XP Support For Enterprise
- 2014-04-16: Microsoft's New All-In-One Media Keyboard Destined For Your Living Room
- 2014-04-15: Microsoft To Open 11 More Specialty Retail Stores In The US
- 2014-04-11: Microsoft Research Shows Off Interactive Live Tiles
- 2011-08-04: Microsoft Answers Google's Patent Attack Accusations
- 2011-08-03: Google, A Patent Attack Victim. Really?
- 2010-11-02: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions
- 2010-11-10: Microsoft Sues Motorola Over Royalties