We all know that the BlackBerry PlayBook is one great piece of technology, but its success has been marred mostly due to the lack of apps available for the system, and its dependence on having a BlackBerry phone to tether to. Well, the software side has been slowly improving, and as of today, we’ve got a new update to the tablet’s operating system to make things even better.
RIM has just announced the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS v1.0.5 update that brings a lot of new features to the tablet. The Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet app has been updated, In-App Payments support is now available and a whole bunch of Tablet OS Enhancements like: PlayBook Charging and Battery Pop-up: the tablet can now be charged even when fully powered down, it alerts you if you plug in an incorrect charger to your PlayBook device, and touching the battery indicator on the top right corner of the screen will give you options to restart the tablet, turn it off, put it into standby mode or adjust the screen’s brightness.
Additional language support has been added to the PlayBook, we now have: French, Italian, Dutch, German, Spanish and UK English. Video Chat connectivity has been improved, and so has WiFi hotspot detection. Headset audio can also be boosted.
To update your BlackBerry PlayBook to Tablet OS v1.0.5, just follow the notification on your status ribbon or head to the Settings Menu > Software Updates to manually check for an update. What do you think of the latest update?
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface
- 2011-12-21: RIM now accepting Android app submissions from aggregator developers
- 2011-12-20: Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook updated to 2.0
- 2011-12-13: Rooted BlackBerry PlayBook allows USB host support
- 2011-12-07: BlackBerry PlayBook update disables dingleberry root
- 2011-11-21: BlackBerry PlayBook on sale from $199 for a limited time