While our internal organs are mostly singular, some of them come in pairs, like lungs and kidneys. Functioning with one lung is very challenging, but with a single kidney? Life’s not too bad after all, but then again how many people are willing to sell their kidney to make a quick buck while having just one left to fall back upon? It seems that the whole idea of owning an iPad 2 proved irresistable to a teenager in China, that he actually sold off one of his kidneys in order to raise the cash required to purchase this hot selling tablet. Young people, they tend to do the darndest things only to regret later.
17-year-old Xiao Zheng stumbled upon an ad on the Internet that wanted 20,000 yuan (that is roughly $3,085) in exchange for the organ. This led the boy to travel all the way north to the city of Chenzhou in the Hunan province, where the kidney was at least removed at a hospital. Zheng managed to recover and was discharged three days later, and in an interview with Shenzhen TV, he said that, “I wanted to buy an iPad 2, but I didn’t have the money”.
He then proceeded to purchase an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4 with the dough, raising the suspicion of his mom, who reported the crime to the police in Chenzhou. Said hospital claimed that no such operatin took place, making the whole episode even more of a mystery. How much is an iPad 2 worth to you, and how far would you go to purchase one?
- 2014-02-13: iPad 2 Production Reportedly Nearing Its End
- 2013-10-21: iPad 2 Is Still Apple's Most Widely Used Tablet
- 2013-04-23: Refurbished iPad 2 And iPad 3 Prices Slashed By Apple
- 2012-11-30: 7 Chinese Jailed In "Kidney For iPad" Trial
- 2012-10-22: Apple rumored to phase out iPad 2 after iPad mini goes on sale
- 2012-01-19: iPad 2S/iPad 3 cases go on sale
- 2011-12-07: iPad to be renamed in China?
- 2011-11-10: Knock off Smart Cover only costs $6
- 2011-09-20: iPad 2 comes to China with 3G this Wednesday
- 2011-09-01: Foxconn to ship 20M iPads to Apple in Q3 2011