While it’s been speculated for quite some time that the N9 would be the last MeeGo device from Nokia, especially since Nokia will be onboard with Windows Phone 7 starting this year, people were still hopeful about the future of MeeGo and Nokia. Well according to a recent statement from Stephen Elop, CEO of Nokia, it looks like we can put all those dreams to rest.
Here’s what he had to say, according to a quote from a Finnish report (translated to English):
“But even on that phone sales would be a success, Nokia has no intention of coming back Meego smartphone operating system, says CEO Stephen Elop”
Jussi Mäkinen, Nokia product manager was more positive about the phone, replying a tweet about the N9 being the last MeeGo phone from Nokia he said:
“the innovations in design, UI, and the Qt developer experience in Nokia N9 will live on in a variety of ways in Nokia.”
It looks like the N9 really is the nail in the coffin for Nokia’s relationship with MeeGo. I wonder if they’ll regret the decision if they end up selling a billion N9 phones. How many of you are planning to pick up the Nokia N9 when it’s released? I predict a high secondhand value for the phones once Nokia stops selling the N9.
- 2014-04-24 Microsoft-Nokia Deal Sees Some Last Minute Changes
- 2014-04-22 HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21 Microsoft Nokia Deal Closes April 25th
- 2014-04-20 Nokia's Phone Division Will Be Named Microsoft Mobile
- 2014-04-17 #Chokia Is Just Desserts For Nokia’s 3D Printing Research
- 2013-03-07 Nokia N9 Users Petition Nokia For Updates And Bug Fixes
- 2012-07-20 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ported onto a Nokia N9
- 2012-07-04 Nokia N9 receives major update with almost 1,000 bug fixes
- 2012-04-25 Wazzap! is a Whatsapp port for the Nokia N9
- 2012-02-27 Nokia N9 receives MeeGo 1.2