Own an iPad 2 and love the smart cover, but don’t see yourself spending the $39 needed just to get one? Well, the next time in China, you might want to look out for a Smart Cover knock off from a company named PBPEI. The folks over at micdigi.com recently got their hands on the imitation iPad 2 accessory, and were surprised at how well it worked. In fact, the knock off even seemed to be made from the same material as the original.
Differences in appearance are subtle and unnoticeable by the untrained eye (the imitation even has the words “Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China” which is essentially true). It unlocks the iPad 2, keeps it propped up against its folds as intended, and shields the display when not in use – just like the original Smart Cover. The main difference? The knock off only costs about $6 – a fraction of the original’s price.
This Smart Cover probably won’t ever be sold in the US, but I’m sure you can find ways for somebody to import it for you. Head to the source link to check out more comparison photographs of the Smart Cover knock off.
Next Story: PlayStation Card - time to stimulate the economy
- 2013-10-21: iPad 5 May Get A Keyboard Smart Cover Of Its Own [Rumor]
- 2013-10-14: Apple Might Unveil New Smart Cover With iPad 5
- 2013-06-12: The Smart Cargo Is An Accessory For The iPad's Smart Cover
- 2013-05-10: Smart Cover Magnets Can Apparently Disable Implanted Defibrillators
- 2013-03-15: Apple Patent Suggests Using Smart Cover As A Wireless Charging Pad
- 2012-01-20: iPad 3 high-res display hinted in iBooks 2
- 2012-01-19: iPad 2S/iPad 3 cases go on sale
- 2012-01-12: Thousands line up for the iPhone 4S launch in China
- 2011-12-07: iPad to be renamed in China?
- 2011-03-14: 21 magnets discovered inside the iPad 2 Smart Cover