OMGPOP’s Draw Something app was such a hit that Zynga had to snap the company up to add the game to their stable, paying out an impressive $200 million (reportedly) in the process. Interestingly, according to a person familiar with the matter, it has been reported on Bloomberg that Zynga had at one point in time reached out to Rovio and offered to buy them up for a heart stopping $2 billion. Given the current status of either company, it is obvious that Zynga’s attempts to purchase Rovio were not successful.
For those unfamiliar, Rovio is the company behind the insanely successful Angry Birds franchise which has made its way onto a variety of platforms such as iOS, Android and Windows Phone. The company has released its latest iteration of the game, Angry Birds Space, which managed to rack up an impressive 10 million downloads in the first three days of its launch. You can see why Zynga would want the Angry Birds franchise under their belt.
- 2014-04-17: Zynga Goes Back To Basics With FarmVille 2: Country Escape
- 2014-03-17: Angry Birds Epic Soft Launched In Several Countries Today
- 2014-03-07: Rovio Teases New Angry Birds Game
- 2014-03-03: Zynga Takes Mobile Route With FarmVille, Words With Friends
- 2014-02-13: Angry Birds Stella Set To Offer New Adventures
- 2014-02-12: Rovio: New Angry Birds Title “Coming Soon”
- 2014-01-28: Rovio Denies Allowing NSA To Spy On Users