For those of you who can’t let a day go by without tweeting, we’ve got some bad news for you: about 44 minutes ago, Twitter went offline. Surprisingly this time around we don’t get to see the infamous fail whale that appears most of the time when Twitter isn’t working. Instead, we get a link to the Twitter status page where the latest update says:
Users may be experiencing issues accessing Twitter. Our engineers are currently working to resolve the issue.
No idea what caused the outage, but we’ll keep you posted when we find out more. I guess in the meantime you can stick to updating your Facebook statuses. Or write your clever little tweets down on paper and post them when the service comes back on again.
Update (10.15AM): It looks like the service is back up and running again. Still no word on what caused the outage though.
Update (2.32PM): Twitter posted an update on its official blog:
The cause of today’s outage came from within our data centers. Data centers are designed to be redundant: when one system fails (as everything does at one time or another), a parallel system takes over. What was noteworthy about today’s outage was the coincidental failure of two parallel systems at nearly the same time.
- 2014-04-18: Twitter Parody Account Results In Police Raid At Home
- 2014-04-17: Twitter Introduces 'App Install' Ads
- 2014-04-16: Twitter Picks Up Gnip
- 2014-04-15: Turkey And Twitter Have Not Arrived At Any Tax Deal Yet
- 2014-04-14: American Airlines Receives Additional Bomb Threats After Dutch Girl’s Arrest