Foursquare has just updated its app for iOS devices. In an attempt to help its users find the best of places to visit, it is now adding scores to places in Explore to give users a quick sense of how popular a particular place is. The scores, ranging from 1 to 10, can be viewed next to the names of the places. Foursquare uses a wide range of metrics including tips, likes, dislikes, popularity, loyalty, local expertise, and check-ins to measure the scores.
Today’s update is Foursquare’s attempt to go beyond the conventional way of rating places. Other similar services such as Yelp use a 5-star rating system to gauge a particular store or restaurant. “Instead of other sites where every place gets 3.5 stars, we come up with our scores using the same Foursquare magic that powers Explore. And, with every check-in and Explore search, our scores will get smarter and better,” the company said. You can download the update here.
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Tests Facebook Places Integration
- 2014-02-04: Microsoft Invests $15 Million Into Foursquare
- 2014-01-30: Foursquare Now Lets You Order Food Within The App
- 2013-12-05: Foursquare v7.0 For iOS Gets A Complete Revamp
- 2013-10-14: Foursquare Ads Launched
- 2013-06-25: Foursquare Gives Your Friends The Power To Check You In
- 2013-05-21: Foursquare App For Windows Phone Updated With Nokia Lumia Exclusive Features
- 2013-01-29: Foursquare For Business Managers Gets Launched
- 2012-08-09: Foursquare's "Nearby Friends" functionality returns on iOS and BlackBerry, Android up next