Microsoft took to Reddit’s community yesterday to conduct an AMA where they spoke to members of the site in order to answer questions regarding its Surface Pro. During that time, they addressed the Surface Pro’s storage as well as its battery life, but they also may have hinted at plans to improve one of those two issues.
The Reddit AMA session was conducted by Microsoft’s Surface boss Panos Panay, and while he was asked a number of questions in regards to the Surface Pro, one user asked why the connector design for the Surface Pro and Surface RT were different from one another. Panay responded by saying “we haven’t announced what [the connectors] are for but they aren’t an accident. At launch we talked about the ‘accessory spine’ and hinted at future peripherals that can click in and do more. Those connectors look like can carry more current than the pogo pins, don’t they?”
In addition to that response, there was another exchange between a Reddit user and Panay that also suggests at a potential plan to improve the Surface Pro’s battery through an additional accessory:
Q: Does Microsoft have any plans for an external battery or for a thicker keyboard cover that has an extra battery? Or, if I want an external battery brick, is there a third party one I can buy that can be used with the surface.
A: That would require extending the design of the accessory spine to include some way to transfer higher current between the peripheral and the main battery. Which we did…
- 2014-04-16: Microsoft's New All-In-One Media Keyboard Destined For Your Living Room
- 2014-04-15: Microsoft To Open 11 More Specialty Retail Stores In The US
- 2014-04-15: Clippy Lives On As Cortana Easter Egg In Windows Phone 8.1
- 2014-04-15: Office 365 Personal Makes It Cheaper To Unlock All Features On iPad
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2013-08-13: Surface RT And Surface Pro Get Firmware Updates
- 2013-07-01: Microsoft Surface Tablets To Be Available From New Authorized Resellers
- 2013-06-11: Microsoft Surface RT And Surface Pro Firmware Update Arrives
- 2013-04-09: Microsoft Releases New Software Update For Surface Tablets
- 2013-03-15: Microsoft Reportedly Sold 1.5 Million Surface Tablets To Date