For those unfamiliar with other VOIP apps other than Skype, there is also the popular option of Viber which is available on both iOS and Android. Viber, like Skype, offers VOIP calls and messaging, meaning that if you have WiFi or 3G/4G coverage, you can make calls to other Viber users and not have to spend your minutes or credit if you’re on prepaid. Of course it eats up data but it helps when you’re in a foreign country without roaming or a local SIM card.
Now the good news is that if you have recently made the jump to Windows Phone, or if you have been using Windows Phone for a while, Viber’s CEO has tweeted that the app with VOIP capabilities will be arriving for Windows Phone 8 either March (this month) or April.
Viber’s CEO then goes on to state that the app has been extensively tested on Nokia’s Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 device, but it should be noted that the app will not be a Nokia exclusive, so rest assured owners of other Windows Phone 8 devices like the HTC 8X. No specific dates were mentioned apart from the rough timeframe given above, but rest assured we will keep our eyes peeled for more information along the way.
- 2014-03-25: Windows Phone 8.1 Could Let Developers Reply To App Reviews
- 2014-03-02: Viber Working To Bring Their App To BlackBerry 10
- 2014-02-14: Viber Acquired By Rakuten For $900 Million
- 2014-01-27: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas For Windows Phone 8 Launched At Last
- 2014-01-10: Microsoft Will Update All Windows Phone 8 Devices To The Latest Version
- 2013-12-10: Microsoft Updates Skype For Windows Phone 8
- 2013-12-10: Microsoft Launches Socl App For Windows Phone 8 Devices
- 2013-04-03: Viber With VOIP Now Available For Windows Phone 8
- 2013-04-01: Viber For Windows Phone 8 Submitted To The Windows Phone Store, Could See A Release This Week