When most people think of Steve Ballmer, they probably think of Microsoft second, with the first image being a high-energetic employee who always gave his all during his speeches. Today, Microsoft has announced the legendary Steve Ballmer will be retiring from his CEO position within the year.
The 12-month-long wait will be used as a way to find Ballmer’s successor, which we hope is as energetic and lovable as he is. Ballmer announced his retiring in an open email to the Microsoft team, which he goes on to explain his decision and what the company should do as a whole to move forward after he’s gone. The official Microsoft press release included a portion of his email, which can be read below:
“We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company’s transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction.”
The process of finding a suitable replacement for Ballmer will be handled by a special committee selected by Microsoft, which includes the company’s founder, Bill Gates. Gates expressed his support for Ballmer’s decision to retire, saying the company is fortunate enough to have him continue his role as CEO until Microsoft is able to choose a successor.
- 2014-04-20: Microsoft Office Mix Lets You Sign Up For Preview
- 2014-04-20: Microsoft Patents Kinect-like Feature For Future Smartphones/Tablets
- 2014-04-20: Nokia's Phone Division Will Be Named Microsoft Mobile
- 2014-04-18: Advertisers Reportedly Spending More Money On Bing Now
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-03-24: Ballmer Might Leave Microsoft For Good
- 2014-01-30: Microsoft CEO Candidate Hans Vestberg Kicks Rumors To The Curb
- 2014-01-20: Steve Ballmer To Resign From Microsoft Board Once New CEO Is Appointed [Report]
- 2013-11-14: Microsoft's New Temporary CEO Expected To Be Kevin Turner [Report]
- 2009-05-28: Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz to Steve Ballmer "Forget it, Won't help"