Things have been quiet for TiVo for quite some time as the last bit of news we heard from the company was their announcement of their TiVo Mini, which extends the standard TiVo set-top box to additional rooms back in March. Today, TiVo has some exciting news to share with its customers, especially those of you who have always wanted to access recorded material located on your TiVo outside of your home.
TiVo is enabling a feature that allows its users to view content from their TiVo set-top boxes from their mobile device anywhere they’d like to access it starting today. At this point, only TiVo’s higher-end Roamio digital video recorders are able to use this feature, which can be accessed through a free app available on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices. An Android app is expected to be released in the coming year.
Those who want to stream content from their TiVo can do so, as long as they’re connected to a Wi-Fi connection. Those who attempt to stream their content over a cellular connection will be prompted to download their show or movie first, although users can begin watching their content before the download is complete. Instant streaming over 4G LTE cellular connections is expected to be available some time in 2014.
- 2013-11-14: New TiVo Slide Pro Remote Announced
- 2013-10-24: New TiVo Feature Allows DVRs To Live Stream Content On iPhones, iPads
- 2013-05-21: Sony Begins Testing Improved Video Streaming Service For PlayStation Store
- 2013-05-15: Time Warner Streaming TNT, TBS On Multiple Devices Starting This Summer
- 2013-05-13: Netflix Updates PlayStation 3 Player With Improvements To Audio, Trickplay Mode
- 2013-03-11: TiVo Mini Extends Set-Top-Box To Additional Rooms For $99
- 2012-12-18: Spotify App Added To TiVo Premiere Boxes
- 2012-09-26: Tivo Stream, Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4 announced
- 2010-09-28: Hulu Plus Also Coming to TiVo Premiere