We have heard the rumors that Facebook had at one point in time attempted to bid on Snapchat for a cool $3 billion, which the creators of the app decided to turn down, and even turned down Google’s reported $4 billion bid attempt as they felt that they were worth a lot more. Well according to a report from GigaOm, they are reporting that Instagram could be getting instant messaging features, similar to what Snapchat is doing at the moment. It’s kind of like, if you can’t beat them, join them! After all Instagram had added video capture to the app in a bid to compete with the likes of Twitter’s Vine, so this would not be unprecedented.
GigaOm reports that this feature would allegedly be introduced to the app in a major update scheduled for release by the end of the year. As it stands there is no way to message someone on Instagram privately, and the only way to get their attention would be to either tag them or mention them in your comments. This alleged private messaging feature of Instagram is said to offer one-on-one messaging, as well as group messaging. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but what do you guys think of this feature making its way onto Instagram? Yay or nay?
- 2014-04-02: Instagram Works On Bug That Hides Recent Photos
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Hits 200 Million Active Users
- 2014-03-25: Instagram Tests Facebook Places Integration
- 2014-03-20: WhatsApp And Instagram On The Nokia X
- 2014-03-18: Instagram For Windows Phone Updated With Lock Screen Support
- 2014-03-12: Instagram Photographer Made $15,000 In A Day Selling His Prints
- 2013-12-11: Instagram's Messaging Feature Reportedly "Confirmed" For Tomorrow
- 2013-11-19: Instagram For Windows Phone Release Might Happen Soon
- 2013-11-12: 6tag For Windows Phone Updated, Lets You Hide Instagram Ads