We learned earlier this year the Xbox One would make it possible to redeem QR codes through the console’s new Kinect thanks to a tweet sent out by Xbox corporate vice president Marc Whitten, which we’re sure many of you who have input the extremely long download codes for the Xbox 360 will appreciate. It can take quite a long time to input all of those characters using only the Xbox 360 controller, so this addition is one we’re certainly looking forward to when our Xbox One game comes with exclusive content. But just how easy will the process be? Well – Larry Hyrb uploaded a new video to his Vine account that shows the process.
Hryb, who is better known as Xbox Live’s Major Nelson, can be seen holding up a pamphlet which includes both a QR code and a numbered download code. Hyrb says “Xbox, use a code” to which he then turns to the Xbox One’s Kinect camera. Hyrb seems to be holding the QR code a five feet away from the Kinect camera, which then recognizes the code as a 14-free trial to Xbox Live.
One concern we have is just how close Xbox One users will need to be in order to redeem their QR code. Hopefully it’ll be able to recognize QR codes much farther than five feet.
- 2014-04-15: Microsoft To Open 11 More Specialty Retail Stores In The US
- 2014-04-15: Clippy Lives On As Cortana Easter Egg In Windows Phone 8.1
- 2014-04-15: Office 365 Personal Makes It Cheaper To Unlock All Features On iPad
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14: Microsoft Is "Done" With The Scroogled Campaign
- 2014-02-19: Xbox One Media Remote Launching This Week [Rumor]
- 2013-12-13: Dead Rising 3 Demo Available Today; Details On First DLC Revealed
- 2013-12-12: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Wolf DLC Releasing Today On Xbox One, 360
- 2013-12-11: Xbox One Sells Over 2 Million Units In First 18 Days
- 2013-07-02: Xbox One Kinect Will Recognize Redeemable QR Codes