The $99 Ouya Android powered gaming console initially started off as a campaign on Kickstarter, which managed to get $8 million in crowd sourced funding. The startup had said that they would begin rolling out the console to retailers from the 4th of June, 2013. However today they announced that the June 4th launch is being delayed and the console will now be launched on the 25th of June. One of the reasons cited for this delay is the high demand expressed by the startup’s retail partners, and to cater to that rising demand, they need to make more consoles.
An issue with Ouya’s controllers has also been fixed. It was noted that the controllers buttons would often get stuck under the faceplate, to remedy this they’ve slightly increased the size of button holes. The change was made very early, now all the units are being made with this modification. By delaying the launch, the startup hopes to ensure that there will be a greater number of units available at retail stores, as they’ll be utilizing these three weeks to significantly ramp up production.
- 2014-03-06: $200 M.O.J.O. Gets OUYA Everywhere Support
- 2014-03-03: OUYA Looks Beyond The TV
- 2014-02-02: Ouya 16GB Launches At $129
- 2013-11-18: Ouya Debuts Refreshed Console With All White Limited Edition Model
- 2013-10-24: Ouya Rolling Out Nationwide Through Target With Demo Kiosks
- 2013-05-08: Ouya Teardown Reveals Console Can Be Easily Repaired
- 2013-04-15: Ouya Underperforms Current Generation Of Android Phones In Benchmark Tests
- 2013-02-28: Ouya Shipping To Kickstarter Supporters On March 28