Apple has long been rumored to be working on a full fledged TV set, but so far nothing has materialized except rumors. There have been no sightings of the TV in the wild, and we haven’t seen any parts of components being leaked. It is widely believed that Apple might release the “iTV” in 2014, but a new report from DisplaySearch suggests otherwise. It claims that Apple has delayed iTV launch beyond 2014 and will instead focus more on wearable devices next year.
The company is yet to confirm its push into the wearable gadget market, it hasn’t even said what product it will end up launching next year. Popular belief is that Apple is working on a smartwatch called the iWatch, it is expected to be launched in the second half of 2014. Apple itself hasn’t said anything about a smartwatch as yet. DisplaySearch claims that the reason why Apple is delaying the iTV is that it would be hard for the company to differentiate itself from existing smart TV brands based on content alone. To capture the market from them, Apple would have to offer “truly unique production differentiation,” the report claims. What this means is that Apple would either have to offer exclusive source of content that’s not available to its competitors or offer proprietary content that’s not available to others. All of this is easier said than done, and that’s presumably why we won’t be treated to the iTV in 2014.
- 2014-04-06: Apple Rumored To Be Testing 65-inch Display Panels For iTV
- 2014-03-12: Apple Stepping Up Camera Efforts In Recent Job Listings
- 2014-02-11: Apple Job Listing Hints At 'New Platforms'
- 2014-02-07: Tim Cook Hints At New Product Categories
- 2013-11-13: Analyst Believes Apple Might Have Delayed iTV Launch Up To Two Years
- 2013-10-29: Tim Cook Confirms New Product Categories For 2014
- 2013-09-01: iWatch Might Be Apple's Much Rumored TV Set
- 2013-04-23: Apple Has Got Many Surprises In The Pipeline, Says Tim Cook