BioWare, the games development company behind hot-selling RPGs like Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights and Baldur’s Gate has been reported as the latest casualty of video game company hacking that’s been going on recently. The community servers associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums was recently discovered to have been accessed by an unauthorized user.
BioWare made the announcement recently and sent emails out to accounts that may have been compromised, but as a precaution they recommend all users to change their passwords anyway. Usernames, passwords, email addresses and birth dates were jeopardized, fortunately there was no credit card data to be taken. Here’s the full statement from BioWare:
We have emailed those whose accounts may have been compromised and either disabled their accounts or reset their EA Account passwords. If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA account, your username and password were not compromised. Nevertheless, changing your password regularly is always helpful to protect your account.
There isn’t any information on who was behind the intrusion, or why the hacker(s) did it, but you can be sure it won’t be the last of such attacks. Any bets on which companies will get hit next?RELATED
- Microsoft CEO Candidate Stephen Elop Reportedly Considering Selling Xbox, Killing Bing
- North Korea May Launch A Cyber Attack Using Online Games
- YouTube Easter Egg Allows You To Play Missile Command
- Facebook: The Board Game Concept Wants To Get You Off The Internet
- Video Games Live Streaming On Twitch From San Diego Comic-Con On July 20
- Follow: bioware, hack, hackers, website,
- Seen at: develop-online.net