Usually when it comes to driving games, using a steering wheel controller is generally more preferred than using a gamepad, as we’re guessing it feels more “realistic” and offers up better control. If that is true, then how do you gamers out there feel about this mod that uses the Xbox Kinect to simulate you holding a steering wheel?
Its creator, Rajarshi Roy, basically used the Kinect to map body gestures to keystrokes, as you can see in the video below where pushing the “steering wheel” forward activates the nitrous, while leaning back causes your car to brake. For those who are interested, there is a code package available for download, although Rajarshi Roy has said that it is currently very raw, although he has plans to clean it up this weekend and also add some documentation, a Wiki and also tutorials.
We have to admit that it is a pretty novel idea, although we can’t be sure if playing a racing game this way or if using a steering wheel controller will be more fun. Check out the video demonstration below where the mod is being used for games like Need For Speed and Portal.RELATED
- Rapoo 7100P Wireless Optical Mouse Announced
- Logitech Harmony Remotes To Receive Xbox One Launch Support
- Google Glass Hack Beams Grand Theft Auto GPS To Its HUD
- Archos GamePad 2 Set To Debut Soon
- Logitech Teases ‘Made For iPhone’ Game Controller
- Follow: hacks, kinect, Microsoft, mods, portal, xbox,
- Seen at: hackaday