MeeGo is by no means a bad platform, but in the face of the competition from iOS and Android, we guess MeeGo simply could not compete. This has prompted Nokia to drop the MeeGo platform after releasing the Finnish company’s first and last MeeGo handset, the Nokia N9 whose design inspired both the Nokia Lumia 800 and 900 Windows Phone handsets.
However this is not to say that there aren’t fans of the MeeGo platform. In fact there are and one such fan by the name of Tarek Galal has managed to port over Whatsapp onto the Nokia N9, giving N9 users a means of sending unlimited instant messages to their friends on iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone and even some Symbian devices.
The app has been renamed to Wazzap! and is reportedly in its development phase so there are some kinks that need to be worked out before pushing it out to the masses. Heading on to its website shows a date of 1st May 2012 which is when the public beta is expected to be available, so if you’re an N9 user looking to get in on the Whatsapp, or Wazzap, action, the 1st of May is a date you’ll want to mark down on your calendar. In the mean time check out the video below for a demonstration of Wazzap! in action.
Next Story: JXD S5110 is an Android tablet in a PSP body
- 2014-04-22: HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21: Microsoft Nokia Deal Closes April 25th
- 2014-04-20: Nokia's Phone Division Will Be Named Microsoft Mobile
- 2014-04-17: #Chokia Is Just Desserts For Nokia’s 3D Printing Research
- 2014-04-17: Nokia Lumia 2520 Sales Suspended Due To Electric Shock Concerns
- 2013-03-07: Nokia N9 Users Petition Nokia For Updates And Bug Fixes
- 2011-08-08: Angry Birds on Nokia N9 demonstration video
- 2011-07-26: Nokia shows off RSS, email and notes app of the N9
- 2011-07-19: Nokia N9 features "non-destructive photo editing"
- 2011-06-22: Nokia N9 will run Android apps