Earlier we had reported on a rumor that the Lumia 929 for Verizon could be rebranded as the Lumia Icon, doing away with the numbered models. Unfortunately apart from that piece of information, we’re still in the dark regarding a possible release time, but thanks to a new theory, it has been suggested that the 16th of January 2014 could be a possible date. This is based on how Verizon typically likes to launch their products on a Thursday, not to mention the phone could be officially announced at CES 2014, allowing it to generate some hype and publicity prior to its release, as opposed to Verizon just releasing the device outright without any fanfare.
The Thursday theory seems to line up as last we heard, the previously rumored release date for the handset was pegged for the 21st of November, also a Thursday. In any case we will be taking this with a grain of salt for now and suggest you do the same, but with us already being halfway through to December, we wouldn’t be surprised if the handset’s launch was pushed to 2014 instead. While it has not been confirmed, the Lumia Icon is rumored to be a smaller version of the Lumia 1520 and will share most of its specs, except in a smaller 5” body compared to the Lumia 1520’s phablet proportions.
- 2014-04-11: Nokia To Provide Chennai Factory Workers With Redundancy Packages
- 2014-04-10: Only PureView And High-End Nokia Handsets To Get Dedicated Camera Button [Rumor]
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-09: Nokia X Custom Android ROM Revealed
- 2014-04-09: Nokia 225 Is Slimmest Affordable Internet Handset
- 2014-02-24: Lumia Icon/Lumia 929 Could Soon See A Release Worldwide
- 2014-02-20: Microsoft Throwing In Free Wireless Charger With Lumia Icon Purchase
- 2014-02-12: Nokia Lumia Icon Announced, A Verizon Exclusive
- 2014-02-04: Nokia Lumia Icon Case Leaked
- 2013-12-16: Verizon's Lumia 929 Could Be Known As "Lumia Icon"