PopCap Games, the company behind the highly acclaimed multi-platform games, Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled has got a new app developer on their team – and he’s only 9 years old. Owain Weinert, a boy suffering from pre-B Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia had a wish to make his own game, and the Make-a-Wish Foundation managed to hook him up with video game developer PopCap Games to make it happen.
The boy had an idea to create a third-person shooter called Allied Star Police and brought it forward to PopCap Games. With their team of dedicated staff, PopCap Games spent weeks under the direction of Weinert to create the game of his dreams. It looks like the game is almost complete, with the app set to appear in the App Store in the coming months. Proceeds made from the game will be generously donated to the Make-a-Wish foundation. Here’s a description of Weinert’s game:
Players assume the role of the base commander, rapidly deploying a variety of automated battle machines and targeted ballistic ordinance to thwart the invading alien “Flamion” forces. The game name, theme, unit and faction names are all products of the incredibly talented and energetic Lead Designer, Owain. The game name, theme, unit and faction names are all products of the incredibly talented and energetic Lead Designer, Owain. The gameplay and pacing are in turn specially crafted for him so that he can literally get lost in his very own world.
What a nice favor for PopCap Games to grant the 9 year old boy. Let’s hope his battle against Leukemia goes well, and that the app is a success. Stay tuned for more details about the upcoming iOS game.
Next Story: Sony wants to patch up with customers
- 2014-04-15: Upsilon Circuit Game Can Be Played Only Once
- 2013-08-15: Plants vs. Zombies 2 Now Available On iOS
- 2013-05-28: Meizu MX3 Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Encourages More Hardware Detail Speculation
- 2013-04-04: Robot Plays Rock-Scissors-Paper With Humans
- 2013-01-15: NRA Releases Shooting Game
- 2012-11-14: Steve Wozniak teams up with Danny Trejo in new iOS game
- 2011-12-14: The Dark Meadow brings survival horror to Android devices next year
- 2011-10-26: The Adventures of Tintin: The Game now on Android
- 2011-09-13: Controversial game Phone Story pulled from the App Store
- 2011-07-22: Allied Star Police officially released