Want a new HP TouchPad, but find its $599 price tag to be rather intimidating? Well, you are one fortunate soul if you happen to own a Palm Pre or Palm Pixi (with the Plus versions of both models), as owners of said smartphones are eligible for a $50 mail-in rebate for the 32GB HP TouchPad. Granted, that is less than 10% of the retail price, but every little bit helps in these economically trying times, no? According to HP’s blog post, “We appreciate your support — as customers, as champions, and even occasionally as our most thoughtful critics — and we’d like to make it just a little easier for you to experience the latest version of the power of HP webOS.”
As there is no free lunch in this world, it would mean that the Palm Pre/Pixi which runs on webOS 1.x will be unable to make use of key TouchPad features such as Touch-to-Share or messaging integration. Shared calling might work though, with the HP TouchPad doubling up as what some might dub to be one of the largest Bluetooth headsets you have come across.
Will HP expand the program to encompass newer handsets? We sure hope so, considering how archaic the Pre and Pixi device are already. You will need to retain the serial number of your smartphone as proof of purchase in order to qualify, no receipts required. The receipt for the 32GB TouchPad and the UPC code are required though, but make sure it is used with any purchase or pre-order as long as you send it in before July 31st.
Next Story: AT&T HTC ChaCha spotted in the wild
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 8 Pro Business Tablet Arrives Silently
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition Spotted On WiFi Alliance Website
- 2014-04-04: HP Slate 8 Pro 7650 Appears At The FCC
- 2014-03-20: HP 3D Printers Expected In June
- 2011-08-18: HP Terminates WebOS Devices
- 2011-02-09: Rubinstein: Palm Pre, Pre Plus and Pixi not getting webOS 2.0 upgrade
- 2010-01-07: Palm Press Conference Wrap-Up
- 2010-02-05: Slacker Radio offers service on bevy of Palm devices
- 2010-04-13: Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus arrives in Germany this April 28th