Rumors of an iPhone with LTE have been circulating even before the iPhone 4S was announced although this one seems to have taken a rather interesting turn. This new rumor has suggested that Japan could be getting an LTE capable iPhone and iPad next year, both of which are expected to land on NTT DoCoMo’s network.
This is interesting because in Japan, NTT DoCoMo is one of the major carriers not to carry the iPhone while their rivals KDDI and Softbank do. One of the reasons why Apple has not given in to an LTE capable iPhone is because of how the design of the LTE chips forced them to compromise their design, and if anyone has read the Steve Jobs’ biography, you’ll know that when it comes to design, Apple (or rather Steve Jobs) does not compromise.
However given the advancement of our technology, it is possible that LTE chipsets have been reworked to the point where Apple sees fit to release an LTE capable iPhone/iPad. It goes without saying that if Apple were to launch LTE capable iOS devices in Japan, those of us living in North America are more than likely to get them too especially given AT&T and Verizon both have LTE networks in place, with Sprint expected to roll out its own next year.
Until we actually see an LTE iPhone/iPad announced by Apple, we suggest taking this piece of rumor as it is for now and not place your hopes for LTE iOS devices in 2012.
Next Story: Verizon Galaxy Nexus press shots leaked
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2014-04-14: In-House iPhone Baseband Chip Development 'Herculean' Task [Analyst]
- 2014-04-14: Apple Staffer Shamed By Judge For Using iPhone In Court
- 2014-01-10: iPhone Attributed To NTT DOCOMO's Growth In Subscribers
- 2013-10-07: NTT DOCOMO Still Bleeding Subscribers Despite Offering The New iPhones
- 2013-09-05: NTT DOCOMO To Offer iPhones Starting This Fall
- 2013-08-26: NTT DOCOMO Reported To Officially Sell The iPhone On Their Network This Year
- 2013-06-28: NTT DoCoMo Not Overly Eager To Get The iPhone On Their Network