We all know about wireless charging with the Qi which basically lets you put your device, or devices, on a power mat to charge, eliminating the need for multiple wires and extension cords. The fact of the matter is that you would still require one power plug for the power mat but judging from Apple’s new patent, it looks like you may be able to save that one plug.
The new patent from Apple suggests wireless charging through, let’s say, a Mac computer and the patent has been titled “Wireless power utilization in a local computing environment” which describes how your iOS devices like the iPhone or iPad may be charged via the Mac wirelessly, as long as it remains within three feet of the computer.
The patent will be using a technology known as near field magnetic resonance (NFMR) and its uses is not just limited to charging your iOS devices, but also your Apple Wireless Keyboard or the Magic Mouse! Imagine never having to worry about your mouse running out of battery and then having to run out to the story because you realized you are out of batteries at home. So when I say you can save one plug, what I meant was that instead of dedicating one plug to the power mat, you can now use that plug to power your Mac, which you will be using anyway, and at the same time allow you to charge your devices simultaneously. Talk about efficient.RELATED
- Bentley offers Apple package in Mulsanne concept vehicle
- Apple iBeacon Deployed To 254 Stores To Help Guide Shoppers
- Apple Receives Harris Poll's 'Brand Of The Year' Award In Three Separate Categories
- 'Jobs' Film's Official Movie Poster Debuts
- Apple's Back To School Promotion Offers Gift Cards For iPhone, iPad, Mac Purchase
- Follow: Apple Inc, iPad, iPhone, mac, patents, wireless charging,
- Seen at: tuaw