Just the other day we reported that the Sony PlayStation 4 had managed to sell over 7 million units around the world, but what about Microsoft’s Xbox One? The last we heard from Microsoft was back in January where they announced 3.9 million units sold to date. However Microsoft has recently posted on its blog their latest figures and according to the company, they have managed to sell 5 million Xbox One consoles since its launch.
However Microsoft did state that these sales were to retailers, so it does not necessarily mean that there are actually 5 million Xbox One consoles that have been bought be the end-user. In fact there is a good chance that number could be lower, but then again Microsoft would only supply their retailers with that many consoles only if they saw some kind of demand, right? Either way we guess it still does not match up to the PlayStation 4.
This is despite the fact that the recently released Titanfall game helped to boost Xbox One sales in the UK. In the meantime, NPD has also provided some figures of their own regarding the sales of the Xbox One in the US. According to their findings, the Xbox One managed to sell 311,000 units in March and has averaged 2.9 games sold per console.
Interestingly enough, it seems that the Xbox 360 is still selling pretty well and based on NPD’s figures, Microsoft managed to sell 111,000 units in March, which is apparently more than any other seventh generation console. Microsoft also appears to be dominating the software market share at 49% which is a combination of both Xbox One and Xbox 360 games.
Interesting figures and while it might still be too early to tell who has won the console race, it seems that Sony does have the lead at the moment. Perhaps when more games are released and both consoles hit maturity, that’s when we will be able to see which platform truly shines.
- 2014-04-17: 5 Million Xbox One Consoles Shipped To Date
- 2014-04-17: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Indefinitely Delayed And Possibly Cancelled For The Xbox One
- 2014-04-14: New Xbox One System Update Starts To Roll Out Tonight
- 2014-04-14: Codemasters Teases Announcements, New F1 Title Likely
- 2014-04-10: Skype For Xbox One Getting Update Next Week
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One YouTube App Will Now Support Uploads
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One Original Shows To Feature Interactive Elements
- 2014-04-06: Microsoft Reportedly Working On New Xbox One Controller Update
- 2014-04-06: Support For Xbox One External Game Storage Coming Soon
- 2014-04-04: Xbox One Security Flaw Discovered By 5-Year Old