The Inspiron 14 5000 2-in-1 computer has just been announced at IFA. Designed to be affordable and easy to use, it is a mid-range Windows laptop that comes in two models, 5482 and 5481 that have slight configuration differences.
We’ll focus on the 5482 model, and you can consider the 5481 to be a budget optimization if need be. The most potent configuration is as listed below, and of course, there are downgrades for everything until it fits your budgets. The options are wide and clearly designed to satisfy the maximum number of users.
- Core i7-8565U, 32GB DDR4 RAM
- GeForce MX 130 / 2GB
- 256GB SSD PCIe + 2TB HDD 5400 rpm
This CPU is found in a large number of similarly sized laptops, so it is quite good. 32GB RAM is large enough that it would satisfy most users who want a moderately priced computer for working with large data files.
The Geforce MX 130 GPU is a bit faster than the Intel UHD 620 Graphics, but not by miles. It may offer better game compatibility, and some NVIDIA-only features such as streaming, in-game screenshots, and better video recording/streaming.
The 14” display has a resolution of 1920×1080 and is powered by an IPS LCD matrix. Of course, it has support for touch, but also for a digital pen, which is optional. At ~220 NITs, the brightness is in-line with competitors in the same category, but it’s not very bright if you consider working outdoors with it. You may want a 300 NITs+ screen for the best comfort.
Since the chassis can fold 360-degrees all the way to a tablet form, the laptop can be used for many different tasks, whether it is for watching videos, working, or playing.
Dell has preloaded the computer with software that helps make the user experience better, such as the SmartByte network prioritization which helps prevent video buffering or stuttering when the network is busy. Waves MaxxAudio Pro is an interface with audio controls that add various effects to the audio.
Key specs of the Inspiron 14 5000 2-in-1 (model 5482)
- Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U
- Up to 32GB RAM
- Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® MX130 with 2GB GDDR5 graphics memory
- 0-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED-Backlit Touch Display
- Up to 256GB m.2 PCIe Solid State Drive + 2TB 5400 rpm 2.5″ SATA Hard Drive
- 42WHr Battery, charger 45W to 65W (w/ NVIDIA GPU)
- 328 x 232.8 x 19.95mm, 3.87 Lbs
- Optional fingerprint reader
- Ports: HDMI 1.4b x1, USB 3.1 Gen 1 x2 (1 w/ Power Share), USB 2.0 x1, USB Type-C x1 (FF), Audio Combo Jack, SD card (push-pull)