You may have noticed that your local McDonald’s was recently refurbished with swanky self-order machines. The chain has gradually been installing these machines in thousands of its locations across the globe as part of a service revamp. Seeing as how you’re supposed to actually touch the screen and then consume your meal not too long afterward, perhaps you’d want to invest in some pocket hand sanitizer.
The bacteria that was detected on the display itself includes staphylococcus which is said to cause Toxic Shock Syndrome, Matawele said that bacteria was “so contagious” that there are concerns the serious illnesses that they and other strains of bacteria found could cause.
The Metro conducted a study which involved random samplings of McDonald’s locations in the United States. They are now referring to this story as “Poo Found on Every McDonald’s Touchscreen Tested.”
The paper swabbed these new self-order machines in six different locations spread across London and Birmingham. Senior Lecturer in Microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr. Paul Matawele was already confirmed about the presence of various new bacteria, adding that “We were all surprised how much gut and [fecal] bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.”
A representative for McDonald’s told the newspaper in a statement that “our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.”