Most of the time when we play air guitar, it’s because we’re listening to a song with a catchy riff or solo, and we can’t help but just pretend to play along to it. Even though no sounds come out from our hands it’s still quite a fun activity. Well, what if I told you that you can create music by playing air guitar? No, it doesn’t involve any magic but it does require an app on your iOS device.
Called GhostGuitar, this innovative app for the latest iOS devices (that feature a front facing camera) lets you play air guitar and create music at the same time. All you need to do is prop your iOS device up facing you, select the settings for your guitar’s sound, add an optional backing track, and start playing! This augmented reality app places a virtual guitar onscreen for you to see and position your hands. Use one hand to choose the chord you wish to play and the other one to strum, it’s that simple.
Users are treated to a variety of different effects pedals which they can use to modify the sound of their guitar, the option to record a video of you with the virtual guitar, and even save your own chord progressions to the device. While it’s probably quite an inconvenience to have to find a place to set it up every time you want to perform, the novelty you get from playing air guitar to create real music is worth it.
- 2014-01-05: iOptik From Innovega Is An Augmented Reality Contact Lens
- 2013-10-01: Pioneer ND-HUD10 Augmented Reality Heads Up Display
- 2013-08-12: Interactive Augmented Reality Manual By Metaio And Audi
- 2013-03-19: Apple Awarded New Augmented Reality Patent
- 2013-03-12: Golden-i Brings Infrared Vision to Police
- 2012-03-09: 3M to introduce Augmented Reality Post-It app
- 2012-02-06: Starbucks Cup Magic AR app updated for Valentine's Day
- 2011-10-06: RC vCar 2.0 – better with bacon
- 2011-03-29: Valpak Augmented Reality takes coupon promos to a whole new level
- 2011-01-27: AppToyz creates an Augmented Reality iPhone blaster