For over a month now you have been reading countless stories of the Galaxy Note 7 exploding. That’s because there was a battery cell issue with the handset that forced Samsung to suspend sales and recall some 2.5 million units across the globe. It’s not entirely impossible for devices that don’t have such issues to explode as we recently saw with an iPhone 7. There has now been a report of an iPhone 6 Plus exploding in a student’s pocket.
The report brings us the story of Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College in Burlington County, who said his iPhone 6 Plus exploded in his back pocket and burned a hole through his jeans.
“I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg,” he said, adding that his iPhone 6 Plus started smoking in his pocket. Fellow student Rebecca Bookbinder said that the class heard a fizzing and popping sound before smoke started coming out of Hlavaty’s pocket.
A spokesperson for the school has confirmed that a teacher called public safety and reported a burning phone, however, the first burned out by the time they arrived. It’s unclear what caused this iPhone to explode because its owner says that the battery was dead and since it was in his pocket, the phone wasn’t plugged in at that time.
Apple has not provided a reason as yet but has said that it’s going to investigate this claim as it places the utmost importance on customer safety.