Unlike Windows where there are options provided to uninstall an app, it isn’t quite the same for Apple’s Mac OS X platform, which might be a little disconcerting for novice Mac users who want to uninstall apps on their computer to free up hard disk space, or for other reasons.
Sometimes you get apps that come with uninstallers. To find out if they have an uninstaller, launch Finder, go to ‘Applications’, and if the app is in a folder, there is a chance an uninstaller might be there too. If not there are a variety of other methods for uninstalling an app, so read on to find out how.
Drag & Drop To Trash
This is the easier and most straightforward way of deleting an app. It’s a bit blunt in its execution, but it gets the job done.
- Locate the app you don’t want.
- Your apps can be found via the ‘Applications’ tab on Finder, Launchpad, or directly from the Dock itself.
- Click the app and drag it straight into the trash
- You might be prompted to enter your username and password in order to confirm that you want the app deleted.
To get rid of the app permanently, you can empty the trash, otherwise it will remain in the trash where you can restore it anytime you want.
The iOS Method
This method of uninstalling apps is similar to how you might delete apps on your iOS device.
- Click and hold down on the icon of the app you want to uninstall.
- Once the icons start to jiggle, you will see “X” appear on some apps. Click the “X” to uninstall the app.
- Note that not all apps will have the “X”. Only apps downloaded from the Mac App Store have the symbol. These apps can be reinstalled by downloading them again from the App Store.
Use Third Party Apps Like AppZapper
If the abovementioned ways of uninstalling Mac apps feels a bit too blunt and messy for your liking, you can turn to third-party apps like AppZapper, which not only deletes the app, but all associated files and folders with it, thus “cleaning” your system of the particular app. Unfortunately AppZapper isn’t free. It will come with 5 free “zaps”, after which users will have to pay $12.95 for it.
Disclaimer: We’re not sponsored by AppZapper, but personal experience using the app by the author has found it to be very effective and useful.
Launch the app
Drag and drop the app that you wish to uninstall inside the window.
A new window will pop-up that shows you the app and all associated files that AppZapper found. Click “Zap” and you’re done.
Depending on your preferences, you might be prompted to enter your username and password before proceeding.