If you play games on your smartphone as well as dedicated handheld gaming systems like the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita, then you probably know just how easy it is to spend a ton of money on your mobile games versus what you’d probably spend for an individual game on a gaming handheld. It seems you’re not the only one to think this way as according to a newly published study, consumers are spending a ton on iOS games.
Research firms IDC and App Annie performed a joint study and found during the first quarter of 2013, the total spending on iOS games outpaced spending on dedicated handheld games, which marks the first time iOS alone has beaten dedicated gaming handhelds as last quarter, the iOS App Store and Google Play store combined sales had beaten dedicated gaming handheld sales.
The findings of this research aren’t at all surprising considering yesterday’s survey saying over 50% of mobile phone owners play games on their devices. As much as I personally enjoy the experiences both my Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita offer, I will always play on my phone more since I always have it on me.
Next Story: Panasonic P51 Android Smartphone Goes Official
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Apple's iOS, OS X, And "Key Web-Based Services" Not Affected By Heartbleed Flaw
- 2014-04-07: Quitting iOS Apps Might Actually Cause Battery Drain, According To Former Apple Genius
- 2014-04-04: Apple's iPhone Almost Had An Always-On Display
- 2014-04-03: Next-Gen iOS Devices May Have Faster, Power Efficient LPDDR4 DRAM
- 2013-10-22: PSN Holds Halloween Sale Dropping Prices On The Last Of Us, The Walking Dead And More
- 2013-07-18: Angry Birds Star Wars Headed To Consoles, Handhelds On October 29
- 2013-02-28: YouTube For iOS Gets Send To TV Feature With Xbox 360, PS3, Smart TV Support
- 2013-02-21: Consumers Spent More On Mobile Games Than Handheld Games Last Quarter
- 2011-04-20: Sony Crackle brings free streaming video to your iOS devices