Micro Four Third cameras have recently taken the spotlights since the compact camera segment is losing market shares, thanks to the rise of Smartphones. We are pleased to see the Olympus OM-D E-M5, the new “top of the line” camera in Olympus’ micro four third lineup. It is inspired by the famous Olympus SLR OM series, which is a classic. The OM-D E-M5 boasts a 16.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor, which has a higher resolution than the sensor used in the Olympus E-Pen EPL3’s (12.3 MP) . To view the subject, there is a built-in 120-fps (frames-per-second) refresh rate, high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF), and a large tilting 3.0-inch touch screen OLED.
Check the complete article with the photo gallery.
Additionally, the OM-D EM-5 features a super fast auto-focus, one of Olympus’ most significant features introduced by the PEN EP-3, and the camera can also deliver advanced 5-axis image stabilization, a proprietary technology that is able to reduce the effects of camera motion and image blur from five directions on stills and video, according to the manufacturer.
The 16MP Live MOS chip drives image data off the sensor at a blazing 240 frames-per-second, a 2X speed increase in Continuous Autofocus, with reduced image blackout enabling photographers to track fast action.
One of the coolest features is the EVF Creative Control interface that gives access to a tone curve overlay on the viewfinder screen, this function allows users to adjust highlight and shadow brightness separately (see pictures above).
The Olympus E-M5 will be available in April for the following prices:
$999.99 (Body only, available in Black and Silver)
$1,299.99 (Black or Silver body with black M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-50 mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens)
$1,099.99 (Black body with black M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42 mm f3.5-5.6 II R lens)
- built-in 120-fps (frames-per-second) refresh rate, high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF) with outstanding image quality, eye detect and intuitive functionality that enables real-time viewing of shooting conditions
- 16.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic™ VI image-processing engine for superior image quality and high sensitivity
- 5-axis image stabilizer to compensate for multi-directional camera shake during both still photography and video recording
- fast autofocusing system (FAST AF) and new 3D AF tracking for improved performance following moving subjects at up to 9 frames-per-second sequential shooting
- Lightweight magnesium alloy body dustproof and splashproof
- tilting 3.0-inch touch screen OLED
- new Movie Effects: One Shot Echo, for a semi-transparent frame at your whim and Multi Echo, for a multi-motion trail effect.
Check the complete specifications list here.